12 April 2011

A Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Rebirth

Last week was a fairly pivotal week for me BJJ wise.  I decided I needed to get a private lesson from someone not affiliated with my school, or even in the same federation (Will-Machado).  My reasoning was simple: I needed a different approach to my training and technique.

I discovered that there is a Rickson Gracie affiliated academy black belt an hour from my place.  Seriously, what are the chances! So I talked with my current instructor and told them I would like privates with this other person; they were fine with that.

The results were astounding.  I’ve read about people coming away from Rickson Gracie seminars completely in awe and how everything has changed.  I had exactly the same feeling.   What I loved about my private was he used the same terminology such as Connection, Energy etc that I heard and read that Rickson uses.  I left my private lesson completely shell-shocked and in awe.

It confirmed everything I thought and hoped; it gave me insight into how Rickson makes things seem so effortless.  I have to start again,  my basic movement has been completely changed:  Do you know how long it’s going to take to undo the muscle memory of 10000 incorrect hip escapes (shrimping for the people in America)?!

It’s the best money I’ve spent for BJJ: Better than any seminar I’ve taken, lesson or free roll.

I feel like I’ve got lost in the BJJ city and ended back where I started,  only this time I know where not to go!  Time to try again,  this time I’m driving in that BJJ city with GPS (Rickson Gracie black belt) directions.

Dan

8 comments:

  1. The connection concept has always puzzled me, is he referring to the opponent, a kinetic chain link from the ground up or both. By the way you are so fortunate to have such a chance. I live in and have not much chance of ever training with Rickson or any of his Black Belts. Hope to hear more of your concepts, great blog. All the best.

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to hear more of these concepts. Especilly on connection, it's always puzzled me. Great blog by the way.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks William! I believe the basic answer to your question is both - however I think it's more subtle than that though. I'm not going to profess I understand it either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I hear you Rickson's on another planet where Jiu Jitsu is concerned!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I've heard how Rickson Hip Escapes by connecting his outer leg to the mat keeping it connected at all times, then uses his inner leg to Hip Escape whilst pulling his lower shoulder under his upper shoulder (going almost belly down), keeping a connection with the ground and the opponent at all times and creating a kind of frame between himself and his opponent with his upper shoulder. Does that sound familiar?

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at the same seminar Ryan was in Nashville when Rickson taught this.
    the point of the seminar was CONNECTION.
    So basically when you shrimp out you SLIDE your outside foot along the mat away from the opponent creating a solid frame the entire time, until you're in a position to roll your hips over and go belly down and go to your single leg or whatever. You DON"T LIFT YOUR FOOT FROM THE MAT

    try this at home: stay on your side on the mat, and with your outside foot posted , have another person stand and drive all their weight into your shoulder to try to flatten you. Its impossible because of your foots connection to the mat.

    Its a very simple concept there is NO MAGIC to it. just a minor detail that most people leave out.

    Is this close to the Rickson Hip Escape?

    William

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes this is part of it. There is so much feeling involved that no one description can give it justice. It's hard to describe. I need a couple more privates to bed done the finer points.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read somewhere that Rickson is all about Base, Connection and Posture (I think it was from Matt Thornton of the SBGi) and of course Sensitivity and Flow. I really like how he uses these to control people (and remove their Base and Posture) in the previous videos you posted. Cheers and good training.

    William.

    ReplyDelete