13 September 2010

My Love Affair with Sweeps

Broom Part of the last few days I’ve spent a fair bit of time drilling my guard sweeps and going over the basics of them.  The basics are fair from simple when it comes to sweeps.  You can’t really force a sweep. I want to make my sweeps feel effortless for me and my partner - I’m finding the best time is in the transitions of attacking and defending from guard.  Feeling where their weight is committed.

So with that in mind I’ve gone through the basics again of Scissor Sweep, Sitting Rollover sweep, Rolling Shoulder sweep and the Hook Sweep with all starting from closed guard.  They all have advantages and difficult timings.  I’m trying to identify for myself the exact timings to use on each one and also the likely blockages when I’m not doing the technique correctly.

For instance what I’m working on mainly is Scissor Sweep.  I picked this sweep specifically because:

  1. I like it
  2. I can get it but not as often as other sweeps
  3. Rickson Gracie likes it, and there is a good chance he will be teaching it in his seminar soon.

So what are some of the challenges I face for the Scissor Sweep?

  1. Partner puts all his weight down very low, to stop me from getting his weight onto my shin
  2. Opponent pushes down the knee the is across the belly pinning it
  3. Opponent doesn’t open his leg to the side that benefits me transitioning from closed guard to Scissor Sweep.

Still with these challenges I’ve also had some good wins with it.  Mainly the following little tips

  1. Grip, get it first before anything.
  2. Timing – Anticipate and feel their reaction
  3. Space,  don’t get cramped and have no room to move.
  4. Push Pull action to load up their weight onto your shin.
  5. Feel where their weight and posture is, understand it
  6. Drive with your grip hand and commit to coming up onto your knees into mount.
  7. All sweeps have a window of opportunity,  transition once that window is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment